Mandarmani, situated just 170 kms from Kolkata is a very popular weekend destination among city folks and a growing alternative for the overcrowded Digha. Mandarmani has around 13 kms long beach and one of the longest motorable beach in India. Most of the hotels and resorts are situated on the beach, so you can step out of your room to the view of the beach(in most cases) and take a stroll or bath whenever you want in the virgin beach in front of your resort. If you want to enjoy crowd, you can head to the Mandarmani main beach. Another neighbouring growing weekend destination is Tajpur where too there are many resorts available.
How to reach Mandarmani from Kolkata ?
By train: For Mandarmani, board any of the four Digha bound trains from Howrah station and get down at Contai station. Take a direct share trekker from Contai to Mandamani. For Tajpur, get down at Ramnagar.
By bus: Kolkata(Garia/Esplanade) to Mandarmani:
- Sandhya Travels – 07:00 (06:00 from Garia) (via Digha) (For booking call 8327077111, 9609877662)
- Blue Raft Tourist Service – 07:10 (06:30 from Garia Stn./More) (For booking call 8240854746, 8348001280)
Mandarmani to Kolkata(Garia/Esplanade):
- Sandhya Travels – 12:50
- Blue Raft Tourist Service – 12:30
Else, you can board any Digha bound bus available plenty throughout the day upto Chawlkhola and take an auto-rickshaw or reserve a car to Mandarmani. For Tajpur, get down at Balisai, & take a toto to Tajpur. Kolkata to Digha bus timings are given in the link HERE.
My Experience in Mandarmani
Three of us school friends started early from Kolkata in a partly rainy day by a SBSTC Digha bound AC bus and within 4 hrs of comfortable journey reached Chawlkhola. Car drivers & auto rickshaw drivers came rushing to us each trying to offer the cheapest ride, ultimately we got into an auto rickshaw for Rs. 20 each & agreed to take us to our resort but he kept waiting for few other passengers, he then offered us to reserve the whole rickshaw by paying him Rs.20 more & we agreed. After starting the journey, it started raining again & he demanded Rs. 20 more to take us to the resort else he would leave us at the main road from where we have to walk. We still agreed & reached Bhorer Alo Resort where we had prebooked a room for 2 nights from OYO Rooms, but as we showed our reservations, the receptionist strictly concluded that they had stopped taking bookings from OYO. After a few minutes of arguments, one of my friends called in OYO helpline, but each one of the receivers listened to the problem & kept transferring the call to their seniors. Rest two of us went inside their canteen to sit where one of the staff after listening to our problems said that this hotel has long stopped taking bookings from OYO but OYO lure tourists to book in this resort by showing its good location(just beside the beach), then after guest arrives, hotel denies booking & calls their helpline, they offer them with an alternative hotel far from the sea beach. My other friend who called the OYO helpline came in & said that they are trying to arrange a stay somewhere else after threatening to complain at senior levels. After a long wait, they called us back & told us they had booked us an alternate room at Samrat Holiday Inn. So, we took another expensive auto rickshaw ride to that resort.
Luckily, this resort was better than the previous one and right on the beach. OYO sent us an e-mail where it showed that the room they allotted costs Rs. 7600 per night but we won’t have to pay any extra for that as for the previous resort, we had paid online Rs.600 per night for 3 of us. We were quiet surprised by the huge price difference, but after we checked online for the tariff of that resort, it showed Rs. 1400 for that same room. The rooms were really clean, good and we could see the waves from our bed itself. The staffs were extremely courteous & the tea served in this resort was just awesome. There was beach loungers for sun bathing or to just lay & enjoy the sea, also a pond inside the resort campus. We were happy to get the rooms at half the price. We were tired by now, so we had our lunch & dozed off.
We went to the beach to take a stroll in early evening & saw one of the greatest sunset I’ve ever seen. After a few steps there were small shops in the beach side offering tea, maggi & other snacks.
We wanted to order some beer but the ON shop was around 6 kms away with no transportations. However, the staffs offered us, if we pay extra, then they can get it for us by their bike. So, we ordered for the beers, brought our Bluetooth speakers to play songs and spent a nice evening chatting. Next day after having breakfast, the staffs booked an auto rickshaw for us in late morning to take us to the Mandarmani main beach and back for Rs.200.
The beach was a bit crowded, so we enjoyed a nice long bath there. We had our lunch & called the auto rickshaw who took us to the ON shop to grab a few bottles and return to the resort. We booked our return bus tickets with SBSTC & spent our afternoon in the beach loungers, taking a stroll in the beach watching the sunset & back on the beach loungers by evening, drinking, listening to songs and chatting.
Next morning, I went along the beach for clicking photographs, had that great tea & breakfast as the staffs booked the same auto rickshaw for us to take us to Chawlkhola for Rs.200. We boarded our prebooked SBSTC bus back to Kolkata.
Mandarmani Hotels & Resorts
All the hotels & resorts mentioned here are sea facing.
- Dream Hut Resort – 7076368162 (near Mandarmani Main Beach, driver accommodation)
- Aqua Marina Drive Inn – book online (with swimming pool, near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Hotels Diamond Glory – 9330224369, 9330225369 (near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Resort Hirak Jayanti – 7547900054 (near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Liv Sea Valley – book online (near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Resort Garden Retreat – 8336004959, 7044057898, 9836646003 (near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Hotel Royal Heritage – book online (with swimming pool, near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Priyajeet Resort – 033-24693420 (near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- AB Resort – book online (near Mandarmani Main Beach)
- Hotel Sonar Bangla – 9635258038, 9800340270 (Swimming Pool)
- Massara Beach Resort – 9331155548, 9331040310, 9051111216
- Viceroy Beach and Spa Resort – 9831600482
- Victoria Beach Resort – 8420047204, 8420047205
- Sana Beach Resort – 3325301030, 9330633111
- Sea Star Spa Resort – 9830166348, 9836585816, 9830166308
- Candlewood Park Beach Resort – 033-40060222, 9038000999, 9635428140
- Anutri Beach Resort – 9007097558 (Swimming Pool)
- Digante Resorts – 9007603406, 9903668289, 9903468114
- Marino Beach Resort – 7602006804, 9932278568, 8116821912
- Tarangamala Guest House – 9733844894
- Hotel Dream Land – 9831188959 (Swimming Pool)
- Santiniketan Hotel and Resorts – 9475876405
- Samrat Holiday Inn – 9007455600, 8240183461
- Eco Villa Resort – 8001386463, 9614141382
- ADB Kanvas – book online (Swimming Pool)
- Bombay Beach Resort – 033 2228 9078, 9831318240, 9874155085
- Mandarmani Beach Resort – book online except from OYO
- Sonar Tori Resort – 033 2448 3125
- Starinn Resort – 7550991605
- Hotel SankhaBela – 9836573849, 8158886898, 8972325001
- Mohana Beach Resorts – 7602371347, 8145075529, 9732552300 (Swimming Pool)
- Vorer Alo Resort
- Basundhara Resort – 9038463821, 8981366123, 9433091067, 9679169937
- Resort Blue Lagoon – 033 2667 2764, 9831044296, 9831016287
- Hotel Zaika Inn – 033 2677 9882/26770240, 8348895999, 9903650044
- Hotel Belabhumi – 9593082259
- Megha Resort – book online
- Sher Bengal Beach Resort – book online
- Sun N Sand Beach Resort – 9830126543
- Hotel Mainak – 8926757166, 9064341877, 9732551772
- Sun View Resort – 7585017030, 8582840555, 7003021120, 943336210, 9831632589
- Sea Sand Hotel – 8334988555, 9831076015
- Suncity Resort – 033 4025 1111
- Neel Nirjaney – 9903593610
- Neel Pori Resort
- Oak Resort – 9903742323, 8001177009
- Arya Beach Resort – 9432145646, 8420093054, 8334072457
- Calypso Hotel & Resorts – 9433548511, 9903903989, 8902479571
- Petrel Beach Resort – 3422568661, 9434122746, 9002750855, 7063024461, 7076662069
- Galaxy Beach Resort – 9733878564, 7044660709, 9002985764
- Hotel Coastal View – 7407363487, 8170010691
- Nirala Resort
Bad Experience by tourists
- Hotel Nil Nirjane